What is the difference between commercial brewery and industry brewery?
A commerical brewery is a brewery that produces small amounts of beer. The maximum annual output is not more than 6 million barrels
A industry brewery has a bigger capacity than commerical brewery. Budweiser, Heineken, Qingdao and Snowflake are all industrial beer. Industrial beer, It is also brewed using malt, hops, yeast and water, but in pursuit of cost, more raw materials such as rice, corn and starch are used instead of malt. The beer wort produced in this way has a very low concentration and a light taste
(1) Capacity different: Craft brewery most are 300L ,500l. Industries brewery more than 5000L, 10000L.
(2) Heating way are different: We use the electric heating, direct gas heating for craft brewery. Industries brewery are steam heating.
(3) Control system different, we use the plc or pid control system for the craft brewery.for industries brewery, we use PLC control system.
(4) Blender system different: Craft brewery could be top blender and bottom blender system.
(1) Craft beer: Only use malt, hops, yeast and water for brewing, without adding any artificial additives. Compared with industrial beer, there is more malt content, more hops are added, and the brewed wort has a higher concentration. Usually, craft beer does not need to consider the cost too much when brewing, and most of them will choose the best raw materials to brew.
(2) Industrial beer: It is also brewed using malt, hops, yeast and water, but in pursuit of cost, more raw materials such as rice, corn and starch are used instead of malt. The beer wort produced in this way has a very low concentration and a light taste.
Different fermentation process
The fermentation process of craft beer and industrial beer is also different. Usually craft beer uses Ales (upper fermentation process), and industrial beer uses Lager (larger, lower fermentation process). The main difference is the location of the yeast during the fermentation process and the fermentation temperature. as the picture shows:
(1) Craft beer: mostly Al process. Yeast works at the top of the fermentation tank and floats above the liquor. The fermentation temperature is generally controlled at 10-20°C. Fermentation tanks are usually small, and filtration and sterilization are not performed after fermentation.
(2) Industrial beer: mostly Lager process. Yeast works at the bottom of the fermentation tank and sinks under the liquor. The fermentation temperature is generally controlled below 10°C. Fermentation tanks are large, and filtration and pasteurization are usually used after fermentation to increase the shelf life of beer.
Different fermentation time
(1) Craft beer: Because there is no need to worry about the cost too much, the fermentation time is often not paid much attention to, and the time cost is not considered too much. The most traditional craft beer fermentation time can be as long as 2 months, so that the beer is fully fermented, the wort concentration is higher, and the flavor is stronger.
(3) Industrial beer: For industrial beer, time is money, so the fermentation time of industrial beer is usually only about 7 days, so the fermentation will not be particularly sufficient, resulting in low wort concentration and lighter flavor.
into rice or Instead of barley to brew beer, starch, etc. form the American industrial beer that is now on the market.
Different style and nutritional value
(1) Craft beer: Craft beer usually adds more types and quantities of malt, yeast and hops, and can be brewed in different styles, such as wheat beer, heavy dark beer, amber beer and fruit Beer, etc., the world is divided by type, and there are nearly 100 styles of craft beer. These craft beers have the characteristics of strong aroma, high content of wort, thick and full taste, higher nutritional value, and high price. The alcohol content of craft beer is more than 11 degrees, and some intensified craft beer can reach 20 degrees.
(2) Industrial beer: In order to unify the taste of the finished product, the brewing process and style of industrial beer are usually simple, and the fermentation time is very short, so industrial beer has a light taste, more bubbles, low wort concentration, low hop content and alcohol content. It has low characteristics, and its natural nutritional value and selling price are also low.
Different storage time
(1) Craft beer: most craft beer does not undergo filtration and sterilization treatment, therefore, craft beer is not very resistant to preservation. Most craft beer has a short shelf life, and some have a shelf life of only tens of days.
(3) Industrial beer: In the later stage of fermentation, industrial beer is often filtered and pasteurized, and has a long shelf life. The shelf life of general industrial beer is 1-2 years, and some can even reach decades.
Different drinking methods
(1) Craft beer: Usually it has a rich and heavy taste and high alcohol content, suitable for slow tasting.
(2) Industrial beer: usually has a lighter taste and low alcohol content, suitable for large mouthfuls.